We love the sun! It makes us feel more awake, and ready to go, but what is the sun doing to our skin? A lot actually. If your not protecting your skin, the sun is doing a lot of irreparable damage. Many people do not protect their skin because they want that glow a tan gives, but at what cost?
- Types of skin cancer:
- Actinic Keratosis - a scaly, crusty bump with dark, tan, pink, or light red coloring affecting mainly face, ears, back, neck, lips, arms, hands, and bald heads.
- Basal Cell Carcinoma - affects head, hands, neck, and mid section. Looks like small fleshy bumps. It is also the most curable of the other types of skin cancer. Also raises risk of getting other types of skin cancer.
- Melanoma - may spread to other parts of the body. Signs to look for, moles or other skin tags that are different than others, changes, itches or bleeds, and are painful. Is caused by extreme episodes of sun burn.
UV Rays from the sun is what causes skin cancer. You need to protect your skin even on cloudy days, because the UV rays can penetrate the clouds and still cause you to burn. If you notice an unusual, or painful spot get it checked as soon as possible, it could be the difference in life and death. Early detection is the key to a fast recovery.
|Basal Cell Carcinoma|
- Minor sunburns are a real nuisance. Symptoms are, redness, burning, tightness, itching, and peeling of the skin.
- Severe sunburns are allot harder to deal with. They symptoms are, shock, weakness, chills, fever, and blisters.
There are ways to sooth sunburned skin. Use aloe lotions to help soothe and hydrate skin. Drink lots of water to keep your self hydrated. Take over the counter pain relievers if needed. Do not irritate peeling skin, it could cause more damage. If symptoms are severe see your doctor as soon as possible.
3. Freckles are another form of skin damage. They are light to dark brown dots on your skin that are flat to the touch. It is what can distinguish them from other forms of skin damage. Some people naturally have freckles, but those of us who don't, the freckles we have are caused by sun damage.
4. Age spots: They are not caused by us getting older as the name implies, they are caused by damage to our skin caused by the sun, but they do become more noticeable as we age. They are typically found on the hands, arms, face, neck, and chest. They are characterized by flat brown round or oval markings on skin. You can lighten age spots with cream bleaches, or laser surgery if desired.
5. Solar Elastosis causes lines and wrinkles on your skin. Solar Elastosis is caused by the deterioration of the elasticity of skin. The skin appears yellow and thickened.
There are ways to prevent these conditions caused by sun exposure. With a few simple steps your skin's beauty can last a lot longer than if you were not to protect your skin.
- Cover up - Wear clothing that you can't see through, if you can see through it so can the sun, hats with a wide brim that will cover your face, neck, and ears.
- Stay out of the sun between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Make sure you apply a good sun screen (SPF 15 or Higher) to yourself and children 30 mins. before sun exposure and at least every 2 hours, more often if swimming or sweating. A great option is Avon's Sun + Sunscreen Sprays and Lotions.
- Wear sunglasses
- Use a lip balm that has sunscreen.
A great sunscreen to use is Avon + Sunscreen there are 3 to choose from:
|Lightweight lotion has broad-spectrum protection against the sun’s rays. Absorbed quickly, leaving skin feeling moisturized. Dermatologist-tested. 3 fl. oz.|
Avon Sun+ Sunscreen Lotion SPF 25
Avon Sun+ Sunscreen Spray SPF 25
If you do get burned there is a great product from Avon that will help soothe the burn Avon Sun+ Cooling After Sun Aloe Gel
Please leave me a comment and let me know what you think and if you love Avon! Thank you for reading my blog! More posts coming soon!
|Lightweight body lotion has broadspectrum protection against the sun’s rays. Leaves skin feeling moisturized. Dermatologist-tested. 8 fl. oz.|
|Lightweight, oil-free spray has broad-spectrum protection against the sun’s rays. Leaves skin feeling moisturized with a light, fresh scent. Dermatologist-tested. 5 fl. oz.|
|Lightweight, oil-free after-sun cooling gel with aloe vera moisturizes skin. Lightly scented with no tacky after-feel. 8.4 fl. oz.|